The song “Magnets” was released in late 2015, just two days before Disclosure’s sophomore album, Caracal, came out. Featuring vocals by Lorde, the song was praised by Rolling Stone as “the year’s most understated dance-world magic”. If you don’t know much about this English EDM duo consisting of brothers Howard and Guy Lawrence, take a look at these fun facts about Disclosure:
1. Howard and Guy come from a musical family. In fact, their parents are both professional musicians. Their father played in the indie bands No Angry Man and Look Book, and their mother is a studio musician. Their grandparents were also musicians. At three years old, Guy was already playing the drums. Howard began playing bass at age eight.
2. They started spending more time together when they took an interest in UK bass music. They would go clubbing together, and eventually started working on their own music.
3. When it came to an album cover for their first release, a friend of their management team drew a “scribble face,” over their photo. Because they were trying to keep costs down, they continued using it and it eventually became their logo!
4. “Magnets” is just one collaboration on Caracal. The album also features The Weeknd, Sam Smith, Miguel and Gregory Porter.
5. Their very first single “Offline Dexterity” was released in 2010. It wasn’t until 2012 that they had their first UK hit with “Latch”, featuring Sam Smith.