They’re one of the most successful bands on the planet. Since releasing their first album in 2000, they’ve sold more than 68 million albums across the globe and have won Grammies. They’ve intrigued fans with their ability to be great at whatever sound they put out – whether it’s alternative, metal or rock. Yes, we’re talking about Linkin Park! Did you know:
1. Chester Bennington isn’t the band’s original vocalist. Back when the group first started out (with the name Xero – not Linkin Park), it consisted of high school buddies Mike Shinoda, Brad Delson and Rob Bourdon. They added Joe Hahn, Dave Farrell and Mark Wakefield after they graduated from school. Mark Wakefield was their original vocalist, but soon left because the band wasn’t able to land a record deal.
2. When it comes to YouTube, these guys made history! They’re the first rock band to get more than 1 million YouTube hits.
3. The name Linkin Park was chosen because Chester often drove past Lincoln Park in Santa Monica, CA and the name caught his attention. However, they changed the spelling from “Lincoln” to “Linkin” so they could buy the domain name without spending huge amounts of money.
4. The band failed to get a record deal with Warner Bros. on three separate occasions. In 1999, the 4th time was a charm! They released their breakthrough album, Hybrid Theory, the very next year.
5. They have a royal fan! Prince William has said that they are one of his all-time favorite bands.