Today it was announced that Mark Ronson’s “Uptown Funk” was the top track in the UK for 2015. The song topped the UK Singles Charts for seven weeks, the US Billboard Charts for eight weeks, and was also a hit in other countries around the globe. In addition, it won Ronson the Brit Award for British Best Single of The Year. In honor of all of this, we’ve chosen to feature him in our Weekly Spotlight! Take a look at these 5 interesting facts about Mark Ronson:
1. His DJ skills are only part of what he excels at. He’s actually a song writer, singer and producer as well. He famously produced Bruno Mars’ “Locked Out of Heaven” and Amy Winehouse’s “Rehab”. He’s also worked with Christina Aguilera, Ghostface Killah and many more artists!
2. He comes from a family of famous people. His stepfather is Mick Jones of Foreigner. He also has 2 famous sisters: Charlotte, a fashion designer, and Samantha who is a DJ.
3. Although Mark enjoys success now, it wasn’t always that way! His 2003 debut album Here Comes the Fuzz failed to make the charts.
4. While he was going to school at NYU in 1993, he became a popular DJ at downtown hip hop clubs. It’s said that he used to earn $50 per job.
5. While working with Bruno Mars, he did 45 takes of “Uptown Funk”! He said he was working so hard on it that his hair started to fall out. We’re glad to see that it paid off in the end!