What do you get when you mix hip-hop with a bit of rock and roll, and then sprinkle it with the blues? Answer: an album that’s a Love Story. At least, this is true in the case of Yelawolf (aka Michael Wayne Atha), the Alabama rapper who’s currently signed to Eminem’s Shady Records. Released on April 21, 2015, Love Story debuted at number 3 on the US Billboard 200 and sold 51,000 copies in its first week. The album and its singles like “Box Chevy V”, “Till It’s Gone”, “Whiskey in a Bottle”, “American You” and “Best Friend” (featuring Eminem) marked Yelawolf’s debut as a record producer. Here’s 5 facts you might not know about Yelawolf:
1. At the age of 19, Yelawolf aspired to be a professional skateboarder. However, once he moved to California he realized his skill level wasn’t enough to make it as a professional. Before making music, he also worked on a fishing boat in Alaska for one season.
2. When he’s passionate about something, Yelawolf inks it! Covered in tattoos, he has the word “Slumerican” tattooed across his forehead, “Forgiveness” at the top of his neck, and many, many more!
3. The Love Story single “Devil In My Veins” is Yelawolf’s favorite song on the album. He said it’s where he can imagine himself at 50 years old, and that he’s always had a cowboy side.
4. He loves Chevrolets! In his song “Box Chevy V,” he sings of his passion for the Bowtie brand.
5. On September 22, 2015, Yelawolf announced to fans on Facebook that he is working on a third studio album which will be titled Trial By Fire.